Excavator tracks go through a great deal of wear and tear. It is therefore necessary to provide them with the right kind of maintenance to ensure longevity. In case you don’t get it maintained on a regular basis, it can cost you a great deal of cash in the long run.
If you want the excavator tracks to remain in top condition make sure you practice the following maintenance tips.
Always keep the bottom of the excavator tracks clean and debris free
Whenever the excavator tracks are used, these should be cleaned thoroughly when not in use. Cleaning the tracks would prevent the buildup of dirt and ensure better performance of the tracks every time. He tracks can be cleaned with the help of shovels and high pressure cleaners as well.
The tracks can be prone to a great deal of damage if not cleaned on a regular basis. Too much build up on the tracks can directly affect the fuel usage. Since it becomes difficult to move the tracks due to the buildup, more fuel is used to maneuver the excavator.
Make sure to carry out regular inspections
The tracks should be inspected every now and then to check out for any kind of wear and tear. This is also one way of looking for any damaged or missing parts. Those excavator tracks which are used in harsh conditions and on uneven terrain should be inspected more often. Calling a professional would help and they can rule out any damage to prevent complete breakdown of the tracks.
It is necessary to keep track of the track bolts, track chains, the track shoes and to ensure proper track tension.
If any of the parts or components are out of place, the professional can make sure to put it back properly. A loose track pad or a broken track pad should be repaired immediately.
Other maintenance tips for excavator tracks
· In order to reduce wear and tear it is advisable to make wider turns. Making sharp turns or instant pivoting of the vehicle can cause unnecessary tension on the tracks. It can even lead to the de tracking which would mean you would have to call in for professional help.
· Avoid too much movement on slopes. However, at times it’s not possible to avoid slopes altogether. Therefore it’s necessary that the motor is driven in the correct direction. The drive motor should always face the back of the machine.
· Avoid driving over extra rough surfaces. These include movement over sharp asphalt surfaces or hard concrete ones.
· Avoid a great deal of track spinning. It can reduce productivity.
· Use the right kind of excavator tracks according to your vehicle and requirements. Narrower tracks for hard soils. Wise excavator tracks are useful for softer surfaces because they wont dig into the surface or get stuck.
· Use the right kind of grouser. The higher the number of grousers the better and easier it is to maneuver the vehicle.
Following these above mentioned tips would help the excavator tracks to work for longer and reduce wear and tear as well.